This is part of the Terms of Service
The Data We Collect About You
The following are categories of data we collect, process, and retain about you.
For registered users:
- Contact Information: The username and email address that you provided. We need this for core site functionality, such as the ability to have an account and log in.
- Content: Anything you have chosen to submit to the Website, such as stories, chapters, comments, direct messages, and the description on your profile page. This is, in general, publicly available, unless you have marked it as private. Privacy is not available for all types of content, and is not guaranteed. Direct messages are only viewable by you and by the recipients. Site administrators have access to all aforementioned data, private or not.
- Actions: We store a record of everything you have "followed", "liked", etc. in order to provide these features.
For all users, we track IP addresses, device information, browser type, operating system, and, if analytics cookies are enabled: pages visited and page activity. We track these for the following purposes:
- To measure and understand the use of our Services by aggregating anonymized data.
- To prevent spam and abuse of the Services, such as DDOSing
- To display targeted ads (this is configurable in the cookie consent banner, see below.)
- For security purposes
How We Use Your Data
- Site Function: Some data, such as your username or email, is required for you to be able to have an account and log in. Public Content that users submit, such as stories and chapters, forms the basis for the value of this site.
- Customization of content: We use identifiers and contact information, website activity data, user-submitted personal information and user contributions to analyze your use of, or interest in, our Website's content, products, or services, in order to develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests on our Website.
- Analytics: We use anonymized identifiers and website activity data to determine whether users of our Website are unique, whether the same user is using the Website on multiple occasions, and to monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed. We collect this data to help us understand and improve the Website experience.
- Compliance: We may use any of the categories of data we collect to enforce our terms and conditions and to comply with our legal obligations.
We do not sell, trade, or rent your personally identifying information. We do not disclose your personally identifying information to any third party unless we (1) are legally compelled to do so, (2) have a good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a current judicial proceeding, a court order, or a legal process served, or (3) are cooperating with law enforcement authorities.
- Necessary: These cookies are required for the operation of the Website. These include, for example, the cookie that tracks your logged-in session. This is the only type of cookie that you must consent to in order to use the Website.
- Preferences: These cookies allow us to remember preferences you have selected.
- Analytics: These cookies are used to record user visits, pages visited, links followed, and how users interact with the Website. We track these in order to help us understand how people use our Website and how we might improve the experience. All this data is anonymized. Examples of such information may include, but are not limited to: browser type, IP address, pages viewed, activity conducted, and timing of your visit.
To change your cookie preferences: (1) clear your cookies for this site. Note that this will log you out. (2) Go to any non-Terms of Service page. The cookie consent banner will appear, and you can select your cookie preferences on it.
How We Share Your Data
Depending on your cookie settings, advertising may be personalised to you by using tracking advertising. These service providers may collect data about your internet usage.
We store all of our data on our servers, which are hosted by third-parties. We have taken all necessary steps to secure these servers and your data.
In accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation law in the European Union (GDPR), you can request a copy of all your personal data we have on record, as well as request the deletion of all that data. To make either request, please email us at [email protected] from the email address we have on file for you. Please allow 30 business days for the request to be completed.
Note that normal account deletion through the User Profile page does not delete all the data we have on file for you. We will still have a record of the email address you used, so you can still submit a GDPR request for data retrieval or deletion from that email address.